Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Grumble grumble grumble vent

Today I had to get some passport photos done (necessary for processing my Ugandan work permit), so I went the fastest/easiest route, which are those automatic photo booth things that give you a strip of four photos. Now the photo booths in Uganda are old crappy booths that have been thrown away by malls and subway station managers in North America and Europe, and so the money-accepting mechanism either doesn't work or cannot be modified for Ugandan cash. So instead, there is a guy standing beside the booth who takes your money and presses the buttons.

So I sit down on the little stool in front of the standard white background, and THEN THE ATTENDANT TELLS ME THAT IT WON'T WORK BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE MY SKIN COLOUR AGAINST THE WHITE BACKGROUND.

It is in these instances where I need to hold myself back from raging against a level of ignorance that the ignorant themselves cannot really be blamed for. BUT REALLY. Should I really need to explain/point out to a grown man that despite being called a "white person" that my skin is NOT ACTUALLY WHITE????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home