Sunday, August 01, 2004

Whoa... really happy this time....

I'm coming home to Canada! On Wednesday! So I'll be in Toronto by thursday evening! And the reason I can be so unequivocally happy about this, is that I get to return to Uganda, a couple of months later, to start my new job! (Don't get me wrong... I am having some unpleasant thoughts about the fact that I will be away from my family and friends for a cumulative almost-two years. But the opportunity to stay - to have a this career opportunity, and to live a life where everyday is a little adventure - is pretty hard to pass up. While I am really looking forward to Toronto, i just got back to Kampala from a weekend camping on this little island in the middle of the Nile river. Its hard not to love a place like that.)

But, I mean, really. How could i not want to come back to a place where i laugh this ridiculously?

(Hey, we were at the US Marine House. Cuz like, who wouldn't laugh at Marines? I mean, all that protecting democracy stuff? And c'mon, the haircuts?)

We do like to make sure those freedom fighters know that most of their friends are in fact Canadians though. A little bit of that underdog-showin'-em-who's-boss kind of a thing. So on July 1st we had a big Canada Day party.

We got all flag-wavy and patriotic. So un-canadian. Although the beery drunkenness was pretty much in line with the national character.

I can't beleive that in a few days I'll be in actual-canada, rather than in the let's-pretend-your-ugandan-backyard-is-muskoka kind of canada. Cool, huh?

See y'all soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home