Tuesday, January 13, 2004

First Impressions - December 5th 2003

This morning's activities had me being picked up and shown how I will get to work every day - which is slightly overwhelming to say the least. There doesn't appear to be any discernible 'rules of the road' - people try to overtake each other in traffic when there is a car approaching from the opposite direction only 10 or 15 meters or so away. The mini-buses (matatus) that I'll be using to get around seem to stop wherever they want, and you're just supposed to 'know' which one to get on, since there's no signage on any of them.

Last night, there was a small lizard inside of my apartment. I swear, everything could be going fine, but if I have to deal with lizards on an ongoing basis, I'm going to... I'm not going to be able to handle it.

Also, I really need to get used to handling all the dirt. Everywhere I go, I leave trails of red-mud footprints. Which somehow doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.

Also, am I the only one who panics at the sight of a two-inch lizard? (Erm, how about 3-inch cockroaches?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home